Re: Political context of cohousing
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 94 11:18 CDT
From: Kevin Wolf  asked

I would like to hear if non-retrofitted communities are as politically
homogenous as ours.

________________

Sharingwood which has been built one house at a time rather than all at
once seems to follow a similar pattern.  People come, check us out, and
those that like us and could afford home ownership built a house.  Out
of 22 resident adults we have 1 moderate republican, 1 libertarian, 3
politically adverse (non-political), and 18  liberal to left.  I wish
we had more republicans but cohousing doesn't seem to appeal to
republicans too much. The polite ones (like my brothers) say, oh that's
interesting. I ignore the unpolite ones as best I can but I still hear
from a few of the conservative neighbors what a bunch of "radicals"
live down the road.  One of the good things about being perceived as
radicals is that when the Government proposed putting an airport in our
neighborhood, these folks came to us first to help organize people.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood