Re: A Pattern Language
From: E. C. Brackett (brack006maroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 94 03:15 CDT
On Wed, 28 Sep 94 05:13 CDT,
Lee Haring  <LEHBC [at] CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> wrote:

>Cantine's Island group of Saugerties, New York has adhered to as many of Christ
>opher Alexander's patterns as we could. Fortunately we found a gifted architect
> who already knew them and was sympathetic to cohousing: Raym deRis of Belmont,
> Massachusetts. On a small site with relatively few families, though, it seemed
> to us we had to select from among Alexander's patterns those that appealed to
>us and that were practicable. It's hard to imagine everything in the book being
> simultaneously realized, especially since a few of the patterns overlap or eve
>n contradict each other in execution.

I have not studied _A Pattern Language_ in great detail (neither core
group got that far :(  ) .  It's a big fat book too.

  It is my impression that the book is a
compedium of a large number of possible (but not all) patterns that
might be design goals and a choice of a subset of those relevant to the
project at hand was implied.

Fred