Re: How to access archives - by email OR gopher
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 94 07:48 CDT
On Mon, 10 Oct 94 21:47 CDT,
Stephen Farley  <sfarley [at] igc.apc.org> wrote:

>Could anyone tell me how I can access the Cohousing-L archives for earlier
>this year or previous years? Should I do it through UNIX email to the
>listserv, or is there somewhere on Internet I can access a gopher?
>
>Thanks, Steve Farley (sfarley [at] igc.apc.org)

You can read Cohousing-L archives both ways:
1) By sending commands by email to the listserv ( listserv [at] uci.com ) to
   retrieve archived messages (generally a month at a time.
2) By gopher where they are available individually with one menu per month.

Documentation (taken directly from the welcome message sent to new
   subscribers or available by sending the command " info cohousing-L " ) :

1) email commands:

INDEX COHOUSING-L       Gets list of archive files available.

GET COHOUSING-L   <filename>  Returns file as one or more long email messages.

SEARCH COHOUSING-L <some_string_or_expression>  Get file references to a string.

HELP      get information about list server commands

2) By gopher:

An alternate way to read or browse the COHOUSING-L messages -- current
and archived -- is via Gopher.  All messages are stored chronologically,
one message per menu item by subject. If you have a gopher client try
Gopher gopher.uci.com.  Alternatively from the widely accessible
University of Minnesota "Other Gophers" menu here are
the links to get to the Cohousing-L Archives Gopher:

Other Gophers and Information Servers (U of Minn)
 International Organizations
  Institute for Global Communications
   Progressive Gophers
    Economic Democracy Information Network
     Housing, Hunger & Welfare
      Cohousing Archives

   If you want to access the Cohousing-L Archives Gopher regularly,
you will want to set a "Gopher Bookmark" in your Gopher client which
greatly facilitates later access.  Check your Gopher client's help
for details.

Fred

--
Fred H. Olson   fholson [at] uci.com   (612)588-9532  Amateur radio: WB0YQM
1221 Russell Av N, Minneapolis, MN  55411    |  Twin Cities Freenet  |