Accounting
From: Deborah Behrens (debbehAuto-trol.COM)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 94 11:46 CDT
Rob said regarding 'RE: money for meals':
> * No we have one bank account for the whole association and meals are
> just added to your monthly assessments.  We have one person who is
> bookkeeper and keeps all the numbers straight.  She has set up a
> spreadsheet for each household and keeps a separate line item for
> dinner accounts and then just adds that total to the regular monthly
> assessment and bills us.
> * We don't pay income tax that I am aware of, we just hired an
> accountant who reviewed our books and filed our taxes for us.  I don't
> believe we had to pay any money, we just filed the papers. I recommend
> using an accountant to do your association tax filing, we didn't and
> made some mistakes and had to pay some penalties (we are appealing these).

---------------------

Seeing how various groups have set up their accounting would be very
valuable to us ... we're wrestling over how to assess homeowners fees
right now, and haven't even begun to think about how we're going to
track them when we start living at Highline.  I suppose a lot of the
variations will be in how the fees are assessed, and thence the divying
up of the funds into whatever reserve funds are deemed necessary.

What have various groups done about accounting in general?
How are people 'counted' for various parts of the homeowners fee ...
What's on a per person basis ... per unit ... per square foot ... etc ...
and how are children, their needs/costs accounted for in the homeowners fees?

It's always a balancing act trying to be fair to all.

                            ~___~
                            (0 0)
 |  Debbie Behrens              debbeh [at] auto-trol.com   (303)252-2215 |
 |  Highline Crossing CoHousing                                      |
 |  301 East Malley #186, Northglenn CO 80233          (303)457-4184 |