Re: money for meals
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIHUBVX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 94 12:01 CDT
Marci Malinowycz <marcim [at] microsoft.com> Asked:
TOPIC: money and common meals (I'll gather the answers and post the
compilation if the responses warrant it. Thanks.)
I'll reply to the list, like the others so far.  Compilation still sounds good.
Here's the Scoop on Monterey Cohousing (MN)

Do you charge a flat fee for meals, or does it vary depending on what
is served?
        $2 for adults, $1 for kids under ? 12? I don't remember.  At
parent's  discretion whether to pay for the very young - 2 or so year olds,
depending on if they really eat.  We assume it all balances out.  So far, it
seems to , but we don't check a lot.

How do you handle collection of money for common meals? Do you pay
ahead, and if so, is it for a period of time (such as a month) or a
number of meals (or singly)? Do you sell tickets? Do you bill afterward?
        We pay ahead, theoretically, for meal tickets in multiples of 10 meals,
and
cross off the numbers as we use them. X = adult meal, \ is a kid meal or a
leftover.   In practice, when people run out of meals on the meal ticket, we
just write in the X and and date  (we always date them as we cross off a
number, so you can tell if someone has done the meal tickets) and we eat on
credit until we get a new card and transfer the extras to it.

How do you charge for children? for guests? for takehome meals or leftovers?
        Guests pay $2, leftovers are full price for a meal if it is the next
day (we
have recently cut back to 3 community meals per week). $1 otherwise.

What happens if someone only occasionally has a common meal?
        Nothing

Do you keep meals moneys separate from association funds? What
bookkeeping/accounting practices do you use? Who handles the money?
        Same funds, separate "account" in Quicken, and a separate checkbook for
the
food buyer.

Are you responsible for taxes (sales, income, whatever) on the money
you handle?
        Duh!! I hope not.

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, (MoCoCo)
Twin Cities Area, Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota
e-mail: baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu