Re: The Cohousing Information Network
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 94 06:00 CDT
On Wed, 19 Oct 94 11:23 CDT,
Rob Sandelin  <robsan [at] microsoft.com> wrote:

>Stuart asked a timely question about information resources and so I
>would like to share that with all of the net.
>
>At the Conference, one of the "Burning Souls" break out groups was to
>figure out a means to effectively share information from group to
>group, across the whole cohousing network. For lack of a better word I
>am calling it the Cohousing Information Network. The goal of this
>project is to share the practical things we are learning about
>cohousing so that it is easier for future generations to do. There are
>several pieces of this.
>
>1. The Cohousing Journal will remain a quarterly publication and might
   <snip>
Note that as a quarterly it can't announce events very well and it's
coverage local fast changing "news" is limited.

>2. The Cohousing Resource Guide will be an annual compilation of
   <snip>
>3. This mailing list continues to be a prime source of information and
   <snip>
I also expect the list will keep rolling along; a concerted effort to get
people from as many cohousing groups and communities as possible would
be nice.  Rob, have you kept your list of communities represented on
Cohousing-L up to date.  Periodically we should put an updated copy on the
Gopher (which puts it on the WWW if we do it right).

We've had a bit of discussion of breaking out a new commers list but
the logistics dont look good to me.  Just having new commers talking to
each other does not sound viable.  I've wondered about having a seperate
list called Cohousing-soc to try and be less topical more informal and more
"social", resembling "on-line community" which might also help new commers
get an idea what it's all about.  This idea is barely formed and just going
public; feedback solicited.

>4.  A structured online resource would be very helpful. If it could be
>set up so that it mirrored the table of contents of the CRG it would
>provide an online resource where specific information could be accessed
>easily and quickly.  The nature of this online resource is yet to be
>determined. Need a burning soul or six, to own and organize this.

<snip>
Using the CRG table of contents ("CRG-TC") is an interesting suggestion.

Is the CRG-TC pretty stable in your mind Rob ?
(CRG-TC posted as seperate message.)

[After writing the following I saw Stuart's webized version
has dealt with this tho I have not studied it - was it a joint
effort?]

I've meant to ask you for a while.  The CRG-TC's format is
a bit confusing to me in that the "Steps" have (in outline terms)
the same level as sections that seems to be "under" the steps.

E.G. In the same type face, the first 4 major headings are:

Step One: Building People Processes
Decision Processes:
Meeting Processes
Setting Community Goals and Values

Would it work better something like:

Step One: Building People Processes
  Intro (items formerly directly under Step One)
  Decision Processes:
  Meeting Processes
  Setting Community Goals and Values

Both the gopher and the WWW site are suited to be structured online
resources. Both need more structuring - that is work structuring them.

THe gopher needs lots of work to make it well stuctured. I'd like to
do some of this but have not gotten it done to date.  Help is
certainly needed.  Robs structure suggestions is conceptually helpful.

There are some questions as to how to use the 3 access methods --
WWW, gopher and email server --  to provide as much information as
conveniently as possible with as little duplicated effort in providing
it as possible.

The 3 access methods offer access to the same resources
tho in a different ways.  Each of the 3 methods is needed by some users.

WWW is definitely the most flexible and easiest way to access a wide
range of documents and resources.  But it requires a level of access
(and bandwidth for some features) that many net users dont have at present.

Gopher. As Stuart said while discussing this recently "gopher's
functionality is basically a modest subset of that of the Web's".
But some people have gopher access that dont have WWW access.  There
are presently more gopher servers installed that WWW servers.
WWW "browsers" (the user program ("client") that accesses the WWW)
can access all gopher sites.  But gopher clients generally cant access
WWW servers.

Email servers allow anyone with Internet email to send email commands
to retrieve files -- Cohousing-L's listserv's Get Cohousing-L <filename>
commands for example.  But it's very awkward and quite slow for
browsing.  But it *IS* the most universally accessable. Note
I have yet to try Stuart's email server -- as soon as I get to it...

So there is this big tradeoff between level of service and universality
of access.  Plus there is question of how much effort will be required to
setup and maintain services.  As technology / software / net useage
evolves hopefully some of these things will be sorted out.
[Before I've gotten this sent I'm starting to see how we can
combine the three online access methods - its exciting to ponder
and hard to keep a current description of the possibilities in print.
THis message is already dated but I'm posting it anyway. Fred]

Offline computer access to network info.
Another aspect that I'd like to see is structured off-line access to
information like Jake Morrison's experimental hypertext organization
of Cohousing-L archives.  This big (1.3 megbyte pkziped) package
includes copies of messages and MSDOS software but few instructions.
(     ftp://ftp.synapse.net/pub/info/cohousing/coho-l.zip )
Ideally, organizing of the www or gopher archives would be coordinated
the offline reader...  And maybe the email server could supply files
that could give a high level of access OFF-LINE (tho inherently
longer lag time in fetching info).  Thus net users could supply info
to non net connected computer users.

Indirect access to net info for non computer users.  To the degree
possible information should be available on paper for selected
topics.  This could be useful for outreach to umbrella groups
in particular.  A set of "canned" articles available to be placed in
local papers and printed as literature for outreach for example.

>Rob Sandelin is the focalizer of this effort.  A task list and plan is
>being developed which I will forward to helpers.  I would like a board
>of online advisors to assist me with converting the online resources,
>plus just to bang ideas around.  Obviously many other volunteers will
>be needed.  To volunteer at any level, email me
>Robsan [at] microsoft.com     call me at  206-788-1613 eves, write me at
>22020 East Lost Lake Rd. Snohomish, WA  98290

Rob, Keep me informed.

Fred

--
Fred H. Olson   fholson [at] uci.com   (612)588-9532  Amateur radio: WB0YQM
1221 Russell Av N, Minneapolis, MN  55411    |  Twin Cities Freenet  |