Dealing with interpersonal issues
From: Stuart Staniford-Chen (staniforcs.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 94 21:00 CDT
I'd like to know what formal mechanisms folks have for handling
interpersonal disputes.  Suppose (more or less hypothetically),
consensus is being blocked because somebody doesn't like the proposer
of the idea, or a committee is failing to meet and do its work because
some of the members can't get along, or two people in the community
are constantly sniping at each other, or folks are getting messily
divorced in the middle of the community; what do you do?

At N St., all our mechanisms for dealing with this kind of thing are
entirely informal - individuals who notice and who care may try to
mediate the problem.  But sometimes nothing is done, or the problem is
not recognized.  Certainly, we have no set procedures for handling it.
I've heard that other communities have committees for worrying about
these kinds of issues, but I only have a vague idea of how this works
in practice.  What does your community/group do?  Does it really work?

Stuart.
N St. Cohousing
stanifor [at] cs.ucdavis.edu
http://everest.cs.ucdavis.edu/~stanifor/home.html