paying ourselves for work
From: School of Mathematics, U of MN (depts5.math.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 94 08:34 CST
Here is a question that keeps coming up in MoCoCo-Mpls:  should we
hire ourselves to do work on the project?.  There is a lot of rehab-type
work coming up in the existing building ('the Mansion') at MoCoCo-Mpls
and some feel it would be cheaper if we hired some of our own group to do
some of the work.  We have a chit system that requires so many hours per
quarter per adult.  There are a few among us who would be willing to do
rehab-work but they want to be paid for their time beyond the required chit
hours.  On the surface this seems reasonable; we would pay less per hour
for some of the labor (leaving aside for the moment the question of the
quality and amount of work).  However, if you pay some members for hours
beyond chits your are unfair to those who contribute way beyond.  We tried
to come to a decision before, but such a mountain of bad feelings were
generated just by considering the question, we've dropped it in the past.

Any experience or suggestions out there?

Monika Stumpf, Monterey Co-Housing, Minneapolis, dept [at] math.umn.edu