Re: community design
From: shedrick coleman (shedarchgsvms2.cc.gasou.edu)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 94 11:36 CST
In message Sun, 13 Nov 94 21:07 CST,
  Eric Hart <harte [at] Free-Net.Mpls-StPaul.MN.US>  writes:

> I couldn't agree more that professionals would be of great help to speed
> the development process up and free up groups to do vision and process
> work.  I feel that groups need to stop relying on high paid professionals
> like architects to do alot of their vision and basic site design work.
> Someone who is familiar with architecture and urban planning issues can
> help to guide the group through a design process that basically only uses
> architects at the end to do final drawings.  Using architects to do the
> whole project (site design to drawings) can lead to a 'fixed end'
> solution that only reflects what architects think your community should
> look like, not what the community wants or needs.  I really don't think
> there are very many architects that understand the social aspects of
> cohousing and are willing to let a group design a community that truly
> reflects their needs.  Leave them out until you need technical assistance
> with drawings, etc.

> I am advocating a more integrated approach to design and group process.  Both
> are important and
> neither can be left to 'professionals'.
>
> Eric Hart   harte [at] free-net.mpls-stpaul.mn.us

I agree somewhat with your statement, but I think Judy probably expressed
the root of the problem best.  Most firms do not keep principals involved
directly in the project and, therefore, the level of experience and
sometimes commitment in not there.  If you have any true understanding of
what an architect does, you would realize that urban planning is vital to
the practice of architecture.  Buildings are not designed in a vacuum and
any architect who ignores that premise will probably not be around long.

In my previous postings, I stated the importance of developing a open
channel of discussion with your architect.  They should attend the meetings
that are held to form a vision of the community and unless the architect is
a prima dona, use that information to plan the community.  To think that
simply supplying  construction documentation is the only use for an
architect is very short-sighted.  My present employment involves urban
planning and actual building design on our campus.  The process involves
gathering and processing information from various sources, just as should be
expected during any design project in this profession.

I think that to much emphasis is being placed on the architect, when it
should really be on how the group conveys their desires to the architect and
that they approve only what meets their needs. This is vital, because the
architect is not the one who eventually has to live with the results.  The
group should accept some responsibility for the outcome and not leave it up
to any one entity.  If there are persons with a design background in the
group, maybe a design review committee could be setup to serve as a
facilitator to the overall group.

A partnership is what is needed.  All parties sharing responsibilities, but
veto power resting in the cohousing group.  I joined this group to gain that
insight into a housing type that is new to this country.  Just observing the
problems and responses that are discussed here have been useful to my
understanding.  I clearly see that the role of persons in my profession need
to be studied as they relate to cohousing and the beginning of that
understanding should be on what is needed on your part.  It is a learning
process and none of us should feel we have nothing more to learn or
share.
W. Shedrick Coleman, AIA                |W. Shedrick Coleman, Architects
Architect                               |130 Brandlewood Drive
Facilities Planning & Space Utilization |Savannah, Georgia 31405
Georgia Southern University             |(912) 232-7233
Statesboro, Georgia                     |
shedarch [at] gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu            |