RE: Groundbreaking
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 94 11:38 CST
Congrats!!! And hurray!!!!. Now comes the fun part, watching the dream
take real 3-dimensional space.

 If you thought you had to make a bunch of decisions in a hurry before,
oh boy!  You might want to look into your decision making process as a
group and try on this scenario:  It's 3pm on Wednesday and the furnaces
have arrived and the space the architect drew up for them, and was
built, doesn't meet fire code.  You have to: 1. order new furnaces, 2.
Rebuild the spaces, 3. change the ducting work.  You have to make this
decision by 8am tomorrow morning or it will cost you an extra $2,000.
Good luck.

This is a little extreme, but you will probably have to make some fast
decisions during building.  Many groups find their decision and
communications structures don't work well for this.  If the contractor
has to wait while the group makes a decision, it can cost you real money.

Voice mail, and phone trees can get communications out fast. Also
creating a building committee (small....3-4) of knowledgeable people
who are empowered to make decisions for the group are some ideas for
streamlining the process during construction.  Maybe there will be no
glitches or decisions needed - but....

A couple of other things.  1. Keep all your receipts handy for all the
things you spent money on.  You will need them to close on your
mortgages as part of your down payments. Don't pack your receipts until
you have closed on your mortgages. This will be right before move in so
keep those papers handy as you pack everything else up.  You might try
and get a check list of documents now from the bank for what they will
need for mortgage paperwork.

If there are natural features such as trees of other things which you
do not want bulldozed, you might try and have someone on the grounds
during bulldozing. (at least at the beginning)  A couple of groups have
lost site features which the plan clearly said were to be saved because
of poor communication or general lack of interest on the contractors part.

You might want to double-check everyone's ability to qualify for a
mortgage and recruit a waiting list of folks.  Having last minute cold
feet or non-qualifying seems to be a common last minute loss of
membership problem.  If you are thin on membership, doing a last minute
recruitment blitz for "associate members" or whatever can really help
you fill any last minute gaps.

Any other "things that go bump during construction" advice out there?

Rob Sandelin
Puget Sound Cohousing Network