Re: "Geography of Nowhere" book (FWD)
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 94 07:40 CST
MORRISON [at] TOOK.ENET.DEC.COM is the author of this message but
due to a listserv problem it was posted by the COHOUSING-L sysop.

catalyst [at] pacifier.com (John M. Gear) wrote:

>      On the bright side, if you want to read a *terrific* book, try "The
> Geography of Nowhere" by James Howard Kunstler.  It may not tell people on

  Thanks for putting in a plug for this. I put in a plug for it on Aug. 4, but
we need to put in new plugs periodically to tell the newcomers to Cohousing-L
and remind those who intended to look for the book but didn't get around to it.
  I didn't hear about this book from the cohousing people, and I knew a lot
about cohousing when I read it, but he describes beautifully why we need co-
housing without ever mentioning cohousing directly.
  And if (due to location etc.) you can't do anything to promote cohousing,
the book suggests a lot of other things you can do, such as opposing zoning
schemes (quite popular in New England, unfortunately) that call for spreading
single-family houses on 1-acre or larger lots over most of the land area of a
town.

Bob Morrison

Home: Boxboro, MA               Work: Digital Equipment Corp., Littleton, MA