Re: Role of professionals
From: SPINTUS (SPINTUSHULAW1.HARVARD.EDU)
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 94 13:05 CST
well as Mark Ottenberg's that started the thread---Mark was referring to
the great work that he felt The Cohousing Center in Watertown, MA has
provided for the Commonweal group.  I'd like to weigh in for the
Cornerstone group, which is also using the services of The Cohousing
Center.  Since I haven't been in a cohousing group not using this
approach, I can't speak to the difficulties.  Abstractly though, I have
no idea how I would approach cohousing if my group had to do all the site
selection, architect selection, etc. all alone.

The Cohousing Center is a group of professionals that are guiding several
groups through the whole process, helping with marketing the concept of
cohousing, helping interested people explore the various groups forming
in the Boston area, providing site exploration services, help with
approaching banks on financing, and providing professional architecture
services.  They are not "doing" cohousing for us.  The groups are still
directly involved in the process, but we are receiving professional
advice from people who know the cohousing concept and are committed to
helping it get started here.  In fact, all the principals in The Cohousing
Center are actual members of one of Cornerstone or Commonweal.  Their
help and advice has been invaluable to us.

Susan Pintus, Cornerstone