RE: Affordability of cohousing
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 94 13:46 CST
>Sounds very interesting.  Could you direct me towards more information about
>these folks?

Teramanto is listed in the directory of intentional communities.

>I am somewhat surprised that they
>could raise $45k in donations for a shared house (how much of that money was
>in "services", how much donations?).  Is that unusual, or do I just have a
>limited imagination?

This was not done all at once, but over a 4 year period.  If I remember
right it took them 3 years to build the first house.  The current house
project has been under way for over two years now and is framed and
roofed, with power in.  As they get more capital they will do the sheet
rocking.

The co-op preschool which my daughters both attended raises several
thousand dollars each year by going to local businesses and solicting
donations of materials and services. They then auction these off.  For
example a local contractor gave 1 day of 2 carpenters labor. It went
for $165.  A load of gravel from a local truck hauling firm went for
$150.  You get the idea.

Rob