Re: Affordability/Urban Areas
From: Mark Ottenberg (maoclark.net)
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 94 15:53 CST
On Mon, 5 Dec 1994, Ross M Donald wrote:

> =>To:  OrrinDavid [at] aol.com
> =>To: cohousing-l [at] uci.com
> =>Subject: Re: Affordability of cohousing
> =>
> =>   ...cohousing in urban areas. I am part of an
> =>organization that wants to study the cohousing option
> =>for...
> =>...community (re) development ideas in Chicago's urban
> =>core.
> =>
> =>   But, as either Thoreau or Emerson once said,
> =>"Whenever I see somebody coming to do me good, I run
> =>the other way!" - one corollary being:  "If it is your
> =>intention to help the other person, expect nothing in
> =>return, but resentment."
> =>
>      By this, we mean, one cannot come in from the
> schools, the church volunteer groups and the community
> action agencies, nor from city hall with money,
> education, and eager solutions;  without buying in, in
> every way.

As a professional systems engineer who is studying and designing social
systems I must VERY STRONGLY agree.   From varous current sources, even
if you are able to create something useful (to your perspective)  such
structures are almost exclusively NOT sustainable in the medium to long
range time frames.  Expect this to infuriate those who are or have been
part of the project.  They finally are convinced to have some hope, and
then CRASH.  Sustainability, especially in these increasingly changing
times, requires user designers.  Outside advice is ok, but LEARNING to be
able to self-design becomes MUCH more important than any hard results!!

This really takes some time, energy and personal change. Lots of it.  But
then again, they seem to be converging on agreement of something like the
following:

"Cohousing, the most intensive, (and expensive!) personal growth program
you will ever go through!"

Luck and much work,                     -- Mark