Environmental design response
From: Strawnet (Strawnetaol.com)
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 94 16:33 CST
Hi Eric
Thanks for your message and info.  I'm Posting this to the group, since it is
for everyone interested. - quite a few people it seems.  Because of the way
I've read and responded to my e-mail, I have two other postings that each
have slightly different resource info.  If I had the time I'd try to
consolidate it - and I will soon - to get the basic info out together in one
piece. Perhaps soon, meantime I hope this is all of use to you.

I think Jeff Hobson's questions are excellent in helping to examine the
design process.  I think your response is equally good. It has seemed obvious
to some of us for a long time that the inclusion of these issues as part of
the basis on which initial design decisions are made, makes many of them much
more affordable and do-able than when they are sort of an applique to the
design somewhere farther into the process, and as you point out, easier to
reject when at the end they aren't affordable.  Things like passive solar
design starts with the orientation of the building sites, and the building
placement on the site.  This isn't expensive when you consider it from the
beginning, as is the case with the rest of passive solar design - window
placement, overhangs, southern glass with proper summer shading, etc.
You mentioned possibly skipping doing the actual master plan at this point
and I just would like to suggest that you at least look at issues that need
to be considered at the beginning - you apparently already have done this -
and at least establish a preliminary master plan that you can agree on.
 There are often decisions made in the more pragmatic environment of the
moment, that have longer range implications that aren't obvious. You've
mentioned some - such as the siting and spacing of houses and how that
affects the various systems, and things like solar access, and even looking
at the concept of smaller starter houses for young families and planning for
expansion - not just in the individual house plan but in how that will relate
to the other buildings and the spaces, views, utilities , etc.

I applaud the group process you are employing.  This is exactly the path I
recommend people take in many things.  Develop your own expertise and
knowledge base, decide what you want and need.  Utilize professionals and
those with expertise you don't have, as resources, to be relied upon for
specific defined tasks that you cannot do yourself.  Don't expect magic
solutions to come from on high - from outside.  Try to find and work with
people who share their expertise, not those who are interested in maintaining
a dependency relationship.

As to things like straw bale and other emerging but still not well accepted
ideas, keep in mind that you are adding somewhat to your work load by being
pioneers.  I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing this, recognizing
that not everyone wants to or is cut out to be a leader or champion of new
things. You've already demonstrated that you are, through your process.  I'm
glad you are and that you are documenting the process and are interested in
helping lead the way for others.

It is interesting to look at something like straw bale construction from a
few different viewpoints.  On the plus side, it is environmentally superior
to most other common materials, being an annually renewable agricultural
waste product (which otherwise would most likely be burned), which provides
an affordable way to get superinsulated walls.

It is usually at least comparable in initial cost to low-end conventional
construction systems when contractor-built, and often significantly lower
(for the percentage of the work represented by the walls) when owner-built.
 It has the potential for some social benefits also, in the
community-building aspects of people coming together for a wall raising, or
plaster party, very similar to old barn raisings.  It is a very accessible
building method, having a very low intimidation factor.  People can learn to
do it quickly and then often realize they can do other parts of the building
as well. It is empowering.

On the other hand, there are obstacles to using straw bale in many code
jurisdictions.  Like most other alternative methods or materials, ignorance
is the biggest problem, and there are many building officials that may be
slow in accepting this method.  Opposition may also come from people within
the community or group, who don't think it is the "right" material to use for
"permanent" structures.  Fear of imagined problems even if unfounded, have
often been enough to influence decisions negatively, not just for straw bale
buildings. Another aspect is whether the sweat-equity/owner-built or partial
labor contribution idea is one that will work for your community or
individual owners.  It is sometimes hard to find contractors who are willing
to use a material or method they are unfamiliar with and this "comfort zone"
for contractors has a direct affect on their price.  This goes for plumbers,
electricians, carpenters, plasterers, etc.

On the subject of costs, at the risk of stating the obvious, it is important
to consider life-cycle costing, not just first cost. I know this is something
most "informed" people are aware of, but I still hear so many questions
regarding sq. ft. cost that I don't think I can repeat it too often.  Energy
costs can be substantial over the life of a building and this is a key
element of affordability - often neglected.  Parts of straw bale buildings
can actually cost more than conventional construction - wider foundations and
lost usable area under the roof because of the thickness of the walls, more
stucco/plaster because of the unevenness of the surface, and as mentioned
earlier, the lack of familiarity of the method.
These can offset the lower cost of the material itself. But if the end result
has a much lower environmental impact and much lower life-cycle cost, even if
the first cost is more, it would be a good choice.

One last seemingly positive aspect of strawbale that often proves to be more
troublesome than anyone anticipates, is the interest it raises in the general
public.  Often this extra attention is great - to attract other like-minded
people to your group, get publicity for what you are doing, etc. But often
what happens is that you are inundated with people stopping by to ask
questions, or glean whatever free info they can. I can only suggest that this
tends to be a powerful drive within the newly informed bale enthusiasts.
 They NEED to know more. So, some consideration in advance of how you will
deal with this is wise.  I have a friend who scheduled an hour on the
weekends and told passers by and info seekers to come at that time and he
would answer questions and give a tour of the house.  Another put up a sign
saying that there was much work to be done and he would answer questions as
long as the asker was helping with the task at hand - perhaps risky in this
overly litigious society, but moderately effective. Anyway - just be aware
that you may create a monsterous interest - especially if yours is the only
straw bale building in the area. And recognize that the interest will
continue after the building is complete.  This could be good and you may
actually be able to set up paying tours on a regular basis, and if your
building is a good example of integrating sustainable technology and good
design, it could be a good way to educate people about these things.

Well, enough for now.
David Eisenberg (strawnet [at] aol.com)