Re: Re: straw bale/straw-clay & co-housing
From: Roger Diggle (digglemacline.com)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 94 00:10 CST
On 12/11/94, David Eisenberg (strawnet [at] aol.com) wrote:

>> "One of the architects here in Madison WI who has been instrumental
>> in getting cohousing started in this area is Lou Host-Jablonski of
>> Design Coalition.  He is very interested in straw-clay wall construction
>> and has recently built an addition on his own house to serve as a test
>> case for the local code authorities and a demonstration project.
>> Lou can be reached @ Design Coalition, 2088 Atwood Ave,
>> Madison WI   53704    (608) 246-8846"
>
> Roger - Thanks for the info, I'll contact Lou as soon as I have a
> few spare minutes. I just wanted to share a little more info so . . .
> Straw-clay is a very  interesting technique, usually used with
> timber frame as in-fill panel material.  Very beautiful, breathable,
> and pretty owner-builder friendly.  A friend in Fairfield Iowa,
> Robert LaPorte, teaches timber-frame/straw-clay workshops.  Robert
> has built some very nice buildings several of which I have seen, and
> I know a number of people who have taken his workshops and speak
> highly of them/him.  Contact Robert at: RR1 Box 115F, Fairfield,
> Iowa 52556, 515-472-7775. Also, he publishes a little booklet -
> Moose Prints - A Holistic Home Building Guide.

Lou Host-Jablonski is, in fact, the illustrator of _Moose Prints_.  The book
has a bibliography that caught my attention as much as anything else therein.
 Some interesting titles.

I saw Robert LaPorte perform a brief demonstration of the construction method
 at the Renewable Energy Fair in Amherst, WI, last summer.  He was also
involved with the demonstration addition on Lou's house.  There was a
workshop designed around the construction project.  (Unfortunately, I
couldn't attend, even though I live one block away.  One of the hazards of
the life of a working musician.  I was leading workshops myself.)

By the way, another of the workshops offered along with the straw-clay
construction was a workshop on limiting Electromagnetic Fields (ELF).  There
was a flurry of posts on this list about ELF in early October.  I'll try to
get the info on the presenter and pass it along.  I think he's interested in
workshopping for people.

Roger Diggle    Porchlight CoHousing   Madison, WI   diggle [at] macline.com

The new robots are doing a great job in our redesigned manufacturing
facility.  Gee, maybe if we paid them a small wage, they'd buy some of our
products...

Mac Line BBS: (608) 233-9487  -  A FirstClass System in Madison, WI USA