Visitors, welcome and un-
From: Joaniblank (Joaniblankaol.com)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 95 17:05 CST
I want to put in my two cents about gawkers, visitors, snoopers, public,
private, etc.

I must say, I am a bit surprised at the intensity of this discussion. It
seems so clear to me that each cohousing community has to decide for itself
what its principles and policies are to be in relation to this issue. I can't
imagine that any two communities would have exactly the same philosophy. I
can think of several factors relevant to a policy about visitors:

*Is your community in an urban, suburban, or rural area?
*Who are your most immediate neighbors?
*How common is crime in your area, and what kinds of crimes?
*How is the community laid out?
* What are the safety considerations, for children and adults?
* Finally, how can a community let non-community members/outsiders know what
their philosophy is in a way that is welcoming and not hostile.

One of the things that we all like about cohousing (am I being presumptuous
to say "all") is that we have adequate privacy to balance the joys of being
in community.

Individual households may differ quite a lot in their need/desire for
privacy. I might feel fine about all the kids in my community being in and
out of my house, or having a neighbor stop in at my house unannounced. One of
my neighbors on the other hand might wish to have a no-kid house and
 socialize with his or her neighbors only at common meals, when outside, or
in his/her home or only by invitation.

By analogy, I think the whole community needs to decide what kind of
"household" it wants to be in relation to the larger community/outside world.