Re: Timeline Feedback
From: Willie Schreurs (71500.2232compuserve.com)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 95 01:29 CST
Mac Thomson asks:
>> I'd like to hear from folks that have AND have not used
>> Public Financing.

   Greyrock Commons isn't really considering Public Financing, other than
perhaps tapping into some City assistance for maintaining the northern
section of our property as a Natural Use Area.  There was an substantial
article in the Spring '94 issue of the CoHousing Journal, titled "Creating
Affordable CoHousing: Three Approaches," which discussed the financing of
three communities (Kennebec Valley, Maine; Muir Commons, Davis; and Common
Ground, Aspen), including public financing.

>> What I'd like to know is, what Membership Thresholds did your group
>> target both at what point in the process and the percent of total
>> households?  And would you suggest these or some other Membership
>> Thresholds to new core groups?

   I don't think Greyrock has a formal threshold, but we are targetting at
least 70% committed households (out of 30; 100% would be great!) before we
break ground, mainly for financial reasons -- it'll be easier to get a
construction loan with at least that many units "pre-sold" and it should
make the construction process easier and cheaper because of less need to
work around unsold units, as well as lower marketing costs and more bodies
to help with all the tasks that need doing.

>> And would you suggest these or some other Membership Thresholds to new
>> core groups?

   I have no idea.  I'll let you know if it works. ;-)
 /\  Willie Schreurs               <71500.2232 [at] compuserve.com> /\
//\\  Future Home: Greyrock Commons         Fort Collins, CO  //\\