RE: Neighborhood objections & concerns
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 95 18:10 CST
The best to find the information on property values you seek is local.
Cohousing is really nothing different than any other condo or similar
project in your area.  If you are doing townhouses or some other model
in the midst of a single family detached area (and the zoning allows
this) then I'll bet somewhere in Sabestapol there is a similar project.
Ditch the term "Cohousing" for a minute and just evaluate it as another
development.  Your local planning dept. should have a clue about what
sorts of developments are similar and looking over the last dozen
multi-family projects done in your area should give you a clue.

My advice, based on what I have experienced is that what the neighbors
think is up to you to define.  Have you had a block party yet and
invited everyone to tea or ice cream, pizza  or whatever?  Have you had
any direct personal contact with the people who are going to be your
neighbors?  Its normal to be suspicious of strangers with strange new
ideas.  Its harder when you have shaken their hand and had dinner with
them.  When Sharingwood first was conceived, Shirley went door to door
and in person explained to every neighbor what she was up to.  There
was no opposition, and this from a somewhat rural conservative bunch
who could have just as easily gotten up in arms over "Hippy commune, Condos".

If you do not explain what cohousing is to the neighbors, they will
invent their own meanings which may not be anything close to what is
really is.  If the first time the neighbors here about your project is
when the development signs go up, you are, in my opinion, asking for
big problems.  If there is a hearing involved you really need to
communicate with your neighbors directly, in person, one on one to show
them that you really are nice people, doing nice things.  If you have a
hearing and peoples suspicions and fears are not dealt with, it may not
go very well for you.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood