Re: Values again [FWD]
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 20:09 CST
STARAQUA [at] NETCOM.COM is the author of this message but due
to a listserv problem it was posted by the COHOUSING-L sysop (Fred).
****************  FORWARDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS *********************

On Thu, 26 Jan 1995, Rob Sandelin wrote:

> > This whole thing does bring up one large underlying question:
> >Should cohousing communities have 'values'?!  The traditional rhetoric
> >says that cohousing communities have no political ideology or commonly
> >held belief except that they want to share and be in community.  When
> >someone asked for value statements I thought to myself, 'I thought
> >cohousing groups weren't supposed to have values!'.
((snip))

I was shocked to read the above.  How could anyone want to live in a
community with no values?  I think that is exactly WHAT we would want to
escape.  How could a community not be able to DEFINE some simple values?

Does your community place no value on health? welfare? safety? expression?
civic responsibility? beauty? art? education? ecology?

What sort of place could that be?

--Mark Deneen
Half Moon Bay, California