RE: heating ideas
From: Graham Meltzer (g.meltzerqut.edu.au)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 95 15:57 CST
Jerry Jameson writes

>To anyone listening
>I am on the verge of colonizing  a great industrial space
>located in Brooklyn NY to create a multiple shared living, and artist
>workspace.
>the  dimensions are about 50 x 30 ft with 22 ft ceiling (roof)
>Sturdy masonry walls with industrial windows. Typical of 50's
>construction.
>
>I am searching for inexpensive strategies or technologies to keep the space
>warm for winter.Whilst gas and electrical supply is plentiful, our budget is
>tiny.

In Denmark (and elsewhere in Scandanavia) they have this really neat thing
called a Finnish Mass Stove.
Its a large brick furnace with a wonderfull system of burning chambers and
flues which somehow cuases the fuel to be burnt and then the gases to be
burnt as well. The internal workings are a mystery to me and in order to
build one, you'd need to use precise plans and preferably someone who had
built one before.

But the bottom lines is this ...
   - they can be built very inexpensively with recycled bricks
   - they burn amazingly efficiently ... one small lump of the right
firewood per day
   - the heat is very solid
   - they can have aditional baking and water heating facilities built in
   - they look beautiful
   - the smoke is particularly clean having had its impurities already burn off.

Graham Meltzer

School of Architecture, Interior and Industrial Design
Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia.
Tel:(07)864 2535(w)  (07)870 2090(h)  Fax: (07)864 1528

"The neccessity to unite with other human beings, to be related to them,
is an imperative need on the fulfillment of which, man's sanity depends"
                 E. Fromm (The Sane Society(1965))