Re: Large group vs. small group meetings
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 95 17:26 CST
 Linda Mae-Richardson  Wrote:

>What about the small group (here at The Evergreen State College we call
>them a DTF - Disappearing Task Force) going through the
>survey/request-for-input period and then the copies of reports to key
>people (supervisors of each department for example) and one copy is
>posted on a public space like a bulletin board (or cyber-bulletin
>board).

Good idea.  We use this format for projects which are temporary in
nature.  Those interested gather, create a solution and implement it,
after notifying everyone and asking deliberately for input and ideas.
(I'm a TESC alumni and learned it there)

>One further criteria from another perspective:  Look more intensely at
>the interaction within the two types of groups.  Typically there are
>"quiet" people that do no choose to dominate the time of a larger group,
>and yet they have significant ideas to contribute, whereas a smaller
>group can make it a point to hear from each and every one of their members.

This alludes to my general point of frustration with large group
process.  The very nature and size of a large group can be very
intimidating for some people and they do not speak their truth.  Add a
time constraint, the tension of major decision, negative comments or
noise behaviors which inhibit people, and getting shy people to speak
at all is really problematic.

And my understanding of consensus and cooperative process is that
everyone's voice is important to hear.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood