RE: Unitarians
From: David G Adams (dadamsworld.std.com)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 95 22:52 CST
Joaniblank wrote:

>Re: spiritualism--or is it spirituality--in cohousing groups. I am really
>attracted by the prinicples (what are those shared value statements act
>called?) of Unitarian/Universalism. I 'm not proselytizing or even sug..
>that any given community would ever necessarily want to take a spiritual or
>religious direction or even celebrate any religious or semi religious
>occasions, but thouse who do want to do so might check out UU publications
>etc, since Unitarian/Univeralism is committed to freedom of religious
>and action, and has no dogma or credal requirement. Do any other UUs out
>there in coho land want to talk about this?

Rob replied
> Out of 12 resident households at Sharingwood 4 are or have been
> involved with UU.  That is quite a majority for us.  I have often
> wondered if this was the case in other groups.

Joani came to one of our meetings so already knows we meet in a UU church
(she was wearing a chalice pin, even) and I think I told Rob this off of the
list many months ago.  For the record, 5 of the first 6 households in
Cornerstone were somewhat actively UU.  We've diversified a bit since, but
still have a majority of UUs among our full members, including a UU
minister.  We've brought in members (including my first contact with the
group) through UU adult religious education.  The UU principles do make a
pretty good foundation for starting a vision statement, too.  We are
definitely not a Unitarian Community, but most cohousing is very much in
harmony with UU prinvipals, so we at least make a good target market for
cohousing.

Dave

  |\/\/\/|  David G. Adams           |  Cornerstone Cohousing
  |____  |  U4 Consulting            |  Homebrewer
 OO    ) |  Arlington, MA            |
 (       |  dadams [at] world.std.com     |  S.P.A.M. of the D.N.R.C.