Danish spelling
From: Graham Meltzer (g.meltzerqut.edu.au)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 95 17:12 CST
On Mon, 30 Jan 95, Stuart wrote

>Nick Sanders has pointed out to me that my Cohousing Web pages misspell=20
>the Danish word for what is called cohousing in English.  The Web pages=20
>(and other places such as the cohousing-l introductory message) spell it=20
>bofoellesskaber whereas the correct spelling is apparently bofaellesskaber=
=20
>('a' not 'o').
>
>How could we have made such an embarrassing error?  I checked back, and the=
=20
>1st edition of the Cohousing book spells it, incorrectly it now seems, with=
=20
>an 'o' (p 10).  However, the 2nd edition (p 12) spells it with the 'a'. =20
>So presumably the error was spotted and quietly changed in the intervening=
=20
>time.=20

Well, I don't wish to add further embarresment ... but would like to set the
record straight on this. Neither 'oe' or 'ae' are correct. Instead, a single
character should be used ...I don't know its name ... which is a conjunction
of a and e. It's '=E6'. You can find it in most word processor packages, eg.
in Word for Mac, hold down the option and ' keys. With Windows for PC look
under Accessories in the Program Manager. Danish pronunciation is mostly a
mystery to me but I think '=E6' is pronounced as 'e' in shed.

I'm suprised Joani didn't get in ahead of me on this.

Cheers
Graham Meltzer

Graham Meltzer

Lecturer (Architectural Design and CAD)
School of Architecture, Interior and Industrial Design
Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia.
Tel:(07)864 2535(w)  (07)870 2090(h)  Fax:(07)864 1528