Re: housing enmasse [FWD]
From: Gary Shea (sheaxmission.com)
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 95 17:01 CST
Deborah Behrens writes:
>> From cohousing-l [at] uci.com Fri Feb  3 13:32:12 1995
>> Subject: Re: housing enmasse  [FWD]
>>
>> ROBSAN [at] MICROSOFT.COM  is the author of this message but due
>> to a listserv problem it was posted by the COHOUSING-L sysop (Fred).
>> ****************  FORWARDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS *********************
>>
>> I have heard of a group in Colorado which has acquired? a closed
>> military base to do a group of 6? cohousing project on.  In doing a
>> large site, I would suggest breaking into  villages or 25 to 30 houses
>
>I presume the location Rob heard about is Lowry AFB in Denver, but
>I've checked around, and haven't yet found any confirmation of the
>rumor.  One of my sources says that cohousing is one of the things
>being considered, but nothing has been decided/acquired by anyone
>yet.  August Green Cohousing may be looking at Lowry, but don't think
>they've made any decisions.  Stapleton Airport's also a redevelopment
>possibility, but both sites have some areas that have toxicity
>problems of one sort or another.

I talked to two folks at the Boulder conference who said
"We've been offered this space" and rolled out a map and showed
it to me.  I believe it was on York, and I _think_ it was the former
location of the Air Force Accounting and Finance Center... but
I'm not sure.  Don't think it was Lowry.  The folks involved
were participants in the conference, spoke up at the kitchen
workshop (they were describing a kitchen which was already in place
and available for free; it was unbelievably large).  The one
building they were looking at ws big enough to have several
cohousing communities in it -- with left-over "open" space :)

        Gary