Re: Cohousing in Israel
From: Rebecca Dawn Kaplan (rebeccapsyche.mit.edu)
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 95 10:52 CST
Bob, I am excited to hear that you are planning a cohousing group
in Israel, & I'd love to hear how it goes. My initial assumption,
having spent much time in Israel, is that the political dynamics
surrounding cohousing in Israel are likely to be completely different
from those in the US, to the point that the US video might be
useless (though i don't know, I haven't seen it).  Is what you
are planning more like a Kibbutz (shared labor, shared childcare,
shared meals) or more like a US-Cohousing model, with mostly
private-family ownership and social norms?  Because of the lack of
fear of being called a "commie", and the acceptance of communal
forms of living, I would be surprised if you encountered anyt
serious opposition to the notion of cohousing, I imagine some
people might think it was not communal enough.

So, my advice would be to go into the meeting *without* the notion
that you have to prove that cohousing is ok, just go in assuming
that it is ok, & I think people will accept that.  Good luck!
-Rebecca