Re: Affordable CoHousing
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 95 14:55 CST
Joani related about a cohousing/habitat for humanity project where the
recruiting solicited folks who had little interest or understanding of
Cohousing.

IMHO If the majority of folks in the project have no clue or interest,
then it probably won't work as cohousing. However, if the majority are
into it, and a small minority chooses not to, this is doable.  It is
not optimum, and will cause some difficulties, but those who are not
interested in the social aspects of community will just not attend
those types of events.  What I have seen is that in my own community,
sometime when couples come in, the female of the couple is more
interested in the social aspect than the male.  In all cases what has
happened is that the reluctant male has "blossomed" in communication
and other skills to the point you would never know they were reluctant
or not so social to begin with.

I would suspect that community dinner will be a draw, even for those
folks who don't see its value, once it starts happening.  This may very
well be true with other practical, sharing of resources type of things.
 Once you live together, the opportunities present themselves for all
kinds of practical support.  Four years ago if you had asked me if I
wanted to eat dinner with 28 of my neighbors, I would have said, NO
WAY.  So I've learned a few things.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood