RE: Affordable housing
From: Gerald Rioux (riouxoro.net)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 95 01:29 CST

On Wed, 22 Mar 1995, Geoff Mamlet wrote:

> We've been planning a community of 30 units, all at market rate.  We've been
> given to understand that the town where we are buying land to develop has a
> strong interest in gaining more affordable housing.  The idea is to offer to
> add units that will qualify as "affordable" in return for being able to
> increase the density of our development (we are already having to go through
> a rezoning process just to be able to cluster units, instead of being subject
> to the existing "snob" zoning of 1 unit per acre).  So instead of a community
> of 30 market rate units, we would become, say, a community of 30 market rate
> and 5 "affordable" units.

Geoff, That's what they call a density bonus.  Many communities offer
them.  In California, the state requires cities and counties to give a 25%
density bonuses for housing projects that include an equal number of
affordable units.  It works well unless the higher density increases the
development significantly.

Jerry