Re: Affordable CoHousing
From: Mark Frauenglass (WORKGROUP/MAILDATA/Mark%Acquilano_Leslie_Inc+pmcimail.com)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 07:26:09 -0600
an opinioned remark
>>>... inhabitants design it themselves-they can do it better than
architects.
and a flaming reply
>> ... pictures of your work...

There is something to be said for both the residents doing their own design
AND having an architect on board.  These aren't exclusive.

An architect needs to have patience to work with cohousers; educating them -
getting them to set their goals, brainstorm wishlists, prioritize, define
their spaces and IMO do all the drawings and coordination with the numerous
engineers and construction trades.  Let the architect know what you want so
s/he can guide you.  ...penny-wise and pound-foolish... Homeowners aren't
life-safety experts or skilled draftspersons.

Cohousers CAN work together to standardize their homes, eg. a modular
kitchen for all or same-number-bedroom units.  Max out similarities for
economics of repetition.   At Highline Crossing we divided into
1bdrm/2bdrm/3bdrm teams to program and design our units, and Synergy Design
of Boulder developed drawings and guided us, while Wonderland Development
walked with us down the financial path.

You get what you pay for, in service and in your house.  The only freebies
came from us involved cohousers.  Teamwork.

Mark Frauenglass
An architect living in a home that the community designed