Re: Re: Sweat Equity
From: Harry Pasternak (Harry_Pasternaktvo.org)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 95 14:11 CDT
For those of you who wish to practise "disintermediation" -cutting out the
"middlepeople"-here are the steps to successfully design your own
collaborative/cooperative/cohousing community.

Step 1: Go do research and get info on Bill Harris's process the "En
Charette". Use only Harris's info- do not rely on other people's
interpretation of his process-unless you want lots of headaches and failure.
Everyone in group learns Harris's stuff.

Step 2: Assemble the group- state the first problem to be resolved (using the
En Charette process):
 "What are ALL Of The Activities that we wish to carry on inside the
building(s) and outside the building(s)"?

Step 3: Assemble the group - state the second problem to be resolved (using
the En Charette process):
"Take our list of Activities from step 2 and now re-list those activities in
order of space required-from the Activity(s) that needs the most space down
to the activity(s) that needs the least space-remember both inside and
outside the buildings (you know, the horseback riding center)".

Step 4: Assemble the group - state the third problem to be resolved (using
the En Charette process):
"Take our list of Activities, prioritized by space requirements and now
decide how many square feet (or square meters) we need for each Activity"
There are many techniques for this phase: visualization, tape measure and
paper pad and visiting (your existing homes, others homes, showrooms,great
libraries. . .whatever), grided papers and pencils to sketch, cheapo computer
software (e.g. "Broderbund 3D Home Architect"), mock up spaces in full size
complete with furniture, peel and stick 3D vinyl systems (for example,
Stanley's stuff) etc. etc.

Step 5: Assemble the group - state the fourth problem to be resolved (using
the En Charette process):
"What is our building(s) and community going to "Look Like"-what style, how
many floors- how will it relate to the site .. etc.  etc."
Some techniques to help: BROWSING mags, BROWSING books, BROWSING housing of
all kinds, visualization, computers (Broderbund again), change the
environment drastically- for example, do this in the Grand canyon at 3
o'clock in the morning, etc. etc.

Step 6: Assemble the group - state the fifth problem to be resolved (using
the En Charette process):
Using a process involving "Bubbles". "What are the potential Layouts for our
building(s) and Site, which allow us to "effectively" carry out the
activities we wish"- "Which is the better layout"?
You start by cutting out circles (Bubbles) from colored bristle board (one
for each activity) -start with a largest circle ( a foot diameter or more)
for the activity that needs the most space, then cut progressively smaller
and smaller circles-one for each activity. If two activities need the same
space then they would have the same size circle.
You then "practise" different layouts by putting the circles (bubbles) down
on the floor or on a large table. Signals-If bubbles overlap, activities can
go on in the same space, if bubbles touching, activities go on in spaces very
close to each other, if bubbles quite far apart-then those activities need a
lot of space between them.
If there is more than one floor then put down colored wool for each floor-you
now design up and down as well as left and right and forward and backwards.
When you complete one potential layout, whip out your cheapo polaroid camera
and take a picture of one potential layout - you will have hundreds by the
time your finished. This process can be done on a computer (again
Broderbund).

Step 7: Assemble the group - state the sixth problem to be resolved (using
the En Charette process):
"Take the Rough Layout and Rough Site Plan we decided in Step 6 and adding
the specific square footage information worked out in Step 4- and produce the
Final Layout". "Before the final choice is made, check for Circulation and
Storage-does the movement of folks from one area to another interrupt
activities? - is the storage in the right place?"
This can be be done on a computer (again Broderbund).

Step 8:Assemble the group - state the seventh problem to be resolved (using
the En Charette process):
"Using the computer (again Broderbund) take the Final Floor Plan and Final
Site Plan and add the Final Form and Finishing Materials chosen in Step 5. to
complete the PLAN"
This is a cut and paste process using the mouse and the computer software in
the 2D mode-with a click of the mouse you can instantly convert to 3D and
take a walk through your Buildings and Site, to check it out. Of course,
refine, refine, refine ............when finished the software prints out a
list of building materials-now you put on your Purchasing Agents hat roll up
your sleeves -heres where you really save money as you play this game.

between 20% to 60% off normal retail.

Harry Pasternak- the Thousand Islands Institute - the Independent Centre For
Housing Research and  Education. For the time being you can reach me at
(Harry_Pasternak [at] tvo.org) or telephone (613) 393-1832 or Box 67 Bloomfield
Ontario Canada K0K 1G0.