Re: Designing Your Own CoHousing: COde issues
From: Shedrick Coleman (shedarchgsvms2.cc.gasou.edu)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 95 11:41 CDT
In message Mon, 10 Apr 95 10:13 CDT,
  Rob Sandelin <robsan [at] microsoft.com>  writes:

> So, within my own state, there is a vast difference in how the
> regulatory process treats owner/ builders.  I have heard from direct
> experience of friends that owner/builder in King County is very
> difficult and painful to deal with.  I have heard from direct
> experience of friends and associates that owner/ builder in Chelan
> County is very easy, from the regulatory framework.
>
> So the point after all this long winded examplification is that if the
> owner/builder route appeals to you or your group look into the
> specifics how your regulatory environment treats owner/builders.

In the closing of my post, I stated this exact fact.  In your discussion of
code officials you overlook the multifamily vs. single family issue I
raised.  If a State adopts any uniform code system existing in the United
States, there is a certain point were the issue of public safety begins to
take over.  It is a far different premise altogether to build single,
detached residences in lieu of attached housing over a certain number of
units.  It is this area which I am advocating needs clear definition by any
code agency prior to proceeding on a project of such significance as
co-houser's are embarking upon.  Simply know what is expected (ie. look
before you leap!).
W. Shedrick Coleman, AIA                |W. Shedrick Coleman, AIA
Architect                               |Wm. Shedrick Coleman, Architect
Facilities Planning & Space Utilization |130 Brandlewood Drive
Georgia Southern University             |Savannah, Georgia 31405
Statesboro, Georgia                     |(912)232-7233 FAX:(912)239-9920
shedarch [at] gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu            |Shedarch [at] AOL.com