Re: Renter Members (fwd)
From: Donna Spreitzer (dmspreitwheel.dcn.davis.ca.us)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 95 23:56 CDT
I'm not sure how I goofed up but this messege never left my in box last
week. I'll try again!

I just did the math and at N Street Cohousing, of the 35 adults living
here, 14 are owners and 21 are renters.

We have no distinction between owners and renters with regards to
membership.  That is, both owners and renters share the same privileges
and responsibilities.  Both can block consensus.  We do however, allow
owners veto power for any decision that impacts their actual lot.  To my
recollection, no owner has ever availed themselves of this.

I want to also put in a plug for a mix of owners and renters.  It allows
for more diversity of income levels, primarily lower incomes. If people are
truely serious about providing affordable housing, they really shouldn't
overlook renting options.  I've observed a real bias in the cohousing
movement towards owner-occupied units and I believe this is a real
mistake.  For some reason someone got the idea that renters won't carry
their load.  At N Street, this couldn't be further from the truth.

Donna Spreitzer
N Street Cohousing
dmspreit [at] wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us