types of diversity KarenF
From: David Liset (dlisettelecomm.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 95 12:07 CDT
Karen brings up some good points about the spectrum of diversity within coho.
Being in agreement, I offer some thoughts on coalescing diversity.

I've heard tell of people in coho's who are really there to profit from the
break-up of the coho into condo's.  So I would say that it is safe to assume
that the make-up of a coho can include quite a range of people, from the
actively or passively hostile, and, obviously, those who believe in :) the
conspiracy theory, and the variety of people can continue through degrees until
at the other end, you end up with a homogenized coho, like maybe the Danes?
(You know, I heard that they all look alike!)  :)  Somewhere, out on the
margins, I'll bet that there is an "anti gun control" coho, although they
probably wouldn't want to call themselves that  ...and we probably wouldn't want
to acknowledge their coho-ness either.

All in all, there is probably an awful lot of similarity in all of us on the
list.  I can see that if greater diversity is as important to you, as it is to
me, then the need to attract diversity from the start of the organization is
extremely important, or you, personally, may fall by the wayside, even though
the coho is a success.  The greatest diversity in my area is in the central
cities, which is also the cheapest land and housing.  At any one time, half the
property could be purchased and most of it on contracts for deed.  So the
problem here is not of diversity and affordability, but how to attract enough of
the local people to a common interest so that a critical mass is attained.
Drug-Free might sell well here, so would Alcoholics Anonymous, or security.
Anyone for an AIDS family coho?  Handicap symbiosis?  I suspect that there would
be money available to help launch such coho's, and the coho's would cut across
all groups.  Talk about committed members!

Food is a great common interest to attract people.  The Red-Hot Pepper Coho
would be able to attract a diversity of international and local cultures. Such
eager diners for the meals they would serve!  And crying has such a way of
bringing people together.