Re: WHAT CREATES COMMUNITY
From: Kevin Wolf (kjwolfwheel.dcn.davis.ca.us)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 95 16:07 CDT
My list includes:

1.  Knowing each others parents, brothers and sisters and family who do
not live in the community.  When one knows where a friend has come from,
the relationship is stronger.

2.  Going through conflict and resolving it.

3.  Time.  Both past and future.  How long will the people in your
community be living with you, will you know them?  There is a change that
happens when one knows that they will "belong" to a community for as long
as they live or as long as they want.

4.  Spontaneous meetings and discussions.  Whenever a major change is
being considered, there are often hundreds of short and long
conversations about it between almost everyone in the community.  By the
time it is officially considered on the meeting agenda, the community is
much clearer about the best decision to make.  These discussions happen
because we constantly see each other as we wonder from place to place in
the community.

5.  Sharing life together with all of its good and bad,  from births and
death, marraige and divorce, kids, vacations, eating, playing, working
etc.  This builds common memory and language which increases one's
confidence in their belonging to the community.

---
Kevin Wolf
724 N St
Davis, CA 95616