Re: Error Condition Re: Unsubscribe
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 3 May 95 15:46 CDT
On Tue, 2 May 95 14:29 CDT,
cohousing-l [at] uci.com  <cohousing-l [at] uci.com> wrote:

>Rejected message: sent to cohousing-l [at] uci.com by ZHOUR [at] AOL.COM
>follows.
>Reason for rejection: request sensed.
>I have tried unsucessfully a few times and am no longer sure where to adress
>my request
>thanks
>in anticipation
>jerry jameson
>zhour@aol. com

Hello,                                                file:UNSUB.HOW

In order to unsubscribe from COHOUSING-L:

Send an email message to listserv [at] uci.com  with the following
one line command in the message body (no subject):

UNSUBSCRIBE COHOUSING-L

Note that your name is not required (or allowed) after the list name.

If this fails after getting the syntax right, send a message to
Cohousing-L-request [at] uci.com for assistance from the sysop.

Note:  I usually send this message to people who have had trouble
unsubscribing rather than doing it for them to help educate net
users about how to use mailing lists.  Please note that the
information in this message was in the Welcome message sent to you
as a new subscriber.

When you subscribe to any mailing list you should recieve a Welcome
message.  Please read and save such messages for future in your
folder of MAILING LIST WELCOME MESSAGES.  If you don't have a folder
of MAILING LIST WELCOME MESSAGES or comparable, please start one.

ALTERNATIVES TO JUST UNSUBSCRIBING

If your reason for unsubscribing is information overload (the most
frequent reason...) you may wish to consider one of three strategies
other than just dropping your subscription discussed below --
Digest mode, Gopher, WWW.

Whatever you decide, thanks for being with us.    Fred

***** DIGEST MODE *****

Digest mode reduces mail from the list to one (long) message per day with a
distinctive subject line that makes it easy to keep track of (and delete :) )

Use the command:
SET COHOUSING-L MAIL DIGEST
   All messages for the day sent in one message.
   When users set their mail mode to "digest", they will receive postings from
the list only once a day, bundled as one message.  This is great for people who
are annoyed by a lot of messages or who only check there mail once a day.
(Includes 'noack' mode i.e. your message is not sent back to you)
   When replying to a message in a 'digest', please manually enter the
appropriate Subject/Thread -- otherwise your reply will have
the subject: "RE: COHOUSING-L digest ##"     which isn't very helpful.

***** GOPHER *****

An alternate way to read or browse the COHOUSING-L messages -- current
and archived -- is via Gopher.  If you have a gopher client try
Gopher gopher.uci.com.  Alternatively from the widely accessible
University of Minnesota "Other Gophers" menu here are
the links to get to the Cohousing-L Archives Gopher:

Other Gophers and Information Servers (U of Minn)
 International Organizations
  Institute for Global Communications
   Progressive Gophers
    Economic Democracy Information Network
     Housing, Hunger & Welfare
      Cohousing Archives

   If you want to access the Cohousing-L Archives Gopher regularly,
you will want to set a "Gopher Bookmark" in your Gopher client which
greatly facilitates later access.  Check your Gopher client's help
for details.

   Note that at this time the Cohousing-L Gopher does not include a
way to post messages.  To post to the list you will need to
subscribe as above.  If you prefer to read messages via gopher
you will probably wish to send the command:
    SET COHOUSING-L MAIL POSTPONE    to  LISTSERV [at] UCI.COM
so the messages are not sent by email.

The archives can be read via the developing Cohousing World Wide Web
site whose URL is :
http://everest.cs.ucdavis.edu/~stanifor/cohousing.html
--
Fred H. Olson   fholson [at] uci.com   (612)588-9532  Amateur radio: WB0YQM
1221 Russell Av N, Minneapolis,MN 55411 Sysop of COHOUSING-L listserv;