Site Info - Water Features
From: RAYGASSER (RAYGASSERdelphi.com)
Date: Wed, 3 May 95 22:24 CDT

>From: Wynne Rae Maggi <wmaggi [at] emory.edu>
>
>2)We'd like to have a couple of simple fountains or pools but are
>concerned about small children drowning.  Any suggestions?

When we at EcoVillage at Ithaca were thinking about the pond we're
gonna have, someone (I think from Cornell) suggested that places with
water features may actually be safer, because:

  Every community has places where a kid could drown.

  In a place where there is a pond, fountain, etc., people realize that
  there is a danger, and will pay attention to it, and instruct their
  kids about the danger, while in those places where there is only
  occasional water less attention is paid.

If you're going to have something like a pond, be sure the edges are
sloped gradually, with no sharp drop-offs, so if a toddler gets too
close, he's in less danger and can get himself out.

Ray Gasser, First Residents Group (FRoG), EcoVillage at Ithaca
raygasser [at] delphi.com