Re: low/mixed income cohousing
From: David L. Mandel (75407.2361compuserve.com)
Date: Thu, 11 May 95 02:21 CDT
Thanks, Don, for sparing me the effort of again describing our mixed-income
urban cohousing project. Your piece is quite accurate (better be, after
keeping Susan, then me, on the phone for hours :) ). I only want to add the
following, in response to Joani Blank's remark that it takes more than
affordability to attract low-income people, and a few replies it brought:

I think a lot depends on your attitude from the start. The fact that many of
our households received second mortgages that enabled them to buy units
otherwise unaffordable to them was not only a result of the city's requirement
that a proportion of our units be affordable. From the start we recognized
that a mixed-income project clearly met the needs of our neighborhood: Solely
low income development would be reinforcing its homogeneity; purely
market-priced housing would be too much at odds with its character and would
exclude most of those already living in the area.

But most important, our early core group in fact comprised members with a wide
range of income levels. These were the people first attracted to cohousing in
Sacramento, and it was quickly clear that if we were going to be able to do
something together, it would have to have an element of financing to enable
low-income people to be involved. We considered including some rentals,
debated doing a limited equity co-op (I was actually in the minority that
favored that) and eventually settled on the plan Don described (our choices
were narrowed by the housing agency's much greater willingness to lend money
than to grant it).

The main point of this is that since our commitment to affordability was clear
from the start, low-income people felt comfortable joining and participating.
None of those who became highly active was excluded for lack of financing;
four of the 11 households that received subsidized loans were involved very
early on, and others joined well before the very end.

David Mandel, Southside Park Cohousing, Sacramento