Re: The culture of poverty
From: Joaniblank (Joaniblankaol.com)
Date: Sat, 13 May 95 03:06 CDT
When I wrote, a few postings back that I felt pessimistic about our finding
low-income households who would value living in a cohousing community even if
finances were not a a considration, and mentioned cultural considerations, I
was not not referring to the culture(s) of ethnic groups as much as I was
referring to the culture of the working  poor or of the non-working poor.

Most of those I know who fall into Buzz's category of the "semi-voluntary"
poor did not grow up in a family culture of poverty. Although they may have
little or no money to spare--certainly not enough to buy market rate housing,
maybe even if it is subidized--they "get it" about cohousing. And they share
many basic values relative to both the joys and the realities of making
community the way we have chosen to do it.

Karen: Let's face it, a very small percentage of people raised in
"comfortable" or "high-income" families, will turn away from the high value
placed on "property and privacy" they grew up with. We cohousers are the
exception rather than the rule from that population.  As for the sense of
community that you (and I) have observed in poorer communities, I believe
that most people raised there would trade it in a minute for a significant
amount of "property" and/or "privacy"  Most likely, as much as they missed it
down the road, they wouldn't go back to living like that unless they could
take their "property and privacy" with them.  What do you think?

Joani