Re: Cornerstone's problems
From: Diane Q Simpson (dqsworld.std.com)
Date: Sat, 13 May 95 20:40 CDT
This is a question in reply to joani's comment that living upstairs in a
dense cohousing development (for her) detracted from the sense of
community. I am wondering why that is.
My name is Diane Simpson, and I have posted a couple of letters to the
list, but nothing very extensive, because I do not belong to a cohousing
group. My husband and I along with another couple from Boston (Mike
Bainum & Rebecca Seybolt) are very much interested in developing a
cohousing community in Boston, and for that reason we toured the Pioneer
Valley cohousing development (now called"the cohousing community at
Cherry Hill") and the Pine Street cohousing community.
At the Cherry Hill cohousing community they had two-story dwellings, but
many of the dwellings had porches that enabled second-story dwellers to
come out and see what was going on--in effect to be a part of the
community without having to necessarily be down on the ground level.
Granted, you're much more involved with your neighbors when you're down
on the street, but I didn't get a sense that people would feel isolated
or separated from their neighbors simply by being on the second story. I
think alot of it depends on how you design the porches. If they have low
railings and are not screened-in so you can wave to your neighbors as
they go by, that makes for more interaction. Or, if they're structured so
that they're adjacent to other second-story porches so that you can talk
to one another from your porches, that's another way to build closeness
into the development despite the two-story buildings.
I too, am very sorry to hear about Cornerstone's problems, but, lacking
experience in the cohousing development process I cannot offer you any
specific advice. My feeling is that you should hang in there and try to
weather this latest crisis because you've been through so much as a group
already. A lot of groups fall apart before they've even put any money
into the project, and your group has a significant amount of core members.
Do you have a mission statement? Why do you want to live together? The
reason I am asking you this is because, if there was something in your
mission statement that said what was your original purpose in forming
this cohousing community, perhaps you could use that to clarify your
current goals and figure out what you should do in order to stay on track
towards your original mission.
I am sure I will be sending many postings to cohousing-list in the future
as Mike &Rebecca & Dave & I try to clarify what it is that we are seeking
from cohousing, and I hope that your group succeeds in this endeavor also.

                                                   ~~~~~~~~~Diane Simpson:.)