Re: Multi-level cohousing
From: David G Adams (dadamsworld.std.com)
Date: Wed, 17 May 95 13:25 CDT
Harry Pasternak said,
> * It makes sense to buy a bigger piece of land and keep to single family
> homes. By the way, the price of land drops drastically if the parcel is 2
> acres or more--typically, one lot will cost the same as 25 acres!

WHHHHHHHHAAAAAAT?

Oh no, my buttons just got pressed...

The argument that kids should be thrown outside most of the time probably
has merit, and so does the (very interesting) bit about the relationship
between kids staying in and distance to the ground.  This in _NO_ way,
however, leads one to conclude that single family housing is the only viable
option.  One door at grade is sufficient for booting the little ones
outside.  You don't need four.  Nor does it show that one should limit one's
search to sites of 25 acres or more.

The vast majority of large cheap sites (in New England anyway) are not
integrated into a community, and, IMNSHO, necessitate an automobile based
lifestyle.  Think about the cumulative time spent commuting to such sites,
add in the resources used by the cars, and consider that one's sense of
community is limited to _only_ the neighboring cohousers.  Every minute
spent in a car robs your child of quality time.  I think that 25+ acre sites
with single family homes may be fine for some coho communities (Hi, Rob) but
is not the de facto solution for many or most communities.

There. I feel better now.

Dave

  |\/\/\/|  David G. Adams           |  Cornerstone Cohouser
  |____  |  U4 Consulting            |  Homebrewer
 OO    ) |  Arlington, MA            |
 (       |  dadams [at] world.std.com     |  1995 Boston -> New York