Let's recycle old houses
From: Joaniblank (Joaniblankaol.com)
Date: Tue, 23 May 95 23:44 CDT
The Oakland (CA) group may have the challenge of building on a downtown city
block. At dinner tonight in Emeryville (Oakland's neighbor) I proposed the
following to Katie:

 If this site works out, there will probably be commercial spaces on the
ground floor with parking in the middle of the block under the common
greenspace with the residences and maybe the common house too on the
periperhery (second floor). My thought was that it would be neat to search
out dilapidated and abandoned Victorians from all over Oakland, move them to
the site and put them immediately adjacent to each other, with some even
attached. The front porches would face in of course and since they would have
to be totally new inside, the kitchens could be right in front in true
cohousing spirit. Many of these small houses--there are literally hundreds of
them around here--are already two units with the smaller, secondary unit on
the ground floor. and the main door up 11 or 12 stairs.

(Oaklanders, whadya think? Katie said it wouldn't necessarily be cheap even
if we could get the land and the old houses for almost nothing from the city,
but said she couldn't quickly think of a way to get the houses lifted up onto
the second level--just a tad higher than yer typical foundation, right?