Re: This week's Newsweek
From: Martin Tracy (mtracyix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed, 24 May 95 13:13 CDT
<eh wrote:>

>This reminds me of something I read a few years back, about how
>some city in Florida wanted to get rid of the problem of
>teenagers hanging out on the streets at night, so they installed
>garish yellow sodium streetlamps that make people's faces look
>ugly, so no one would want to be there after dark anymore.

>I remember being tremendously depressed at the notion that people
>would deliberately make their home town ugly, and for what?  To
>assure themselves that teenagers would no longer have a social
>life.  Oh well, people can be pretty strange...

Your words "hanging out" triggered some great memories.  I used to "hang out"
with my college buddies, converging on some lounge each evening and deciding
what
we wanted to do for dinner or for the weekend.  For me, "hanging out" is the
same
as "play", unstructured quality time.  We adults need it too!

In England or Ireland, we would have a local "pub" to hang out in.  In America,
fortunately, we have cohousing.
--
Martin Tracy, Los Angeles
mtracy [at] ix.netcom.com