Re: Re: "Making" Community
From: Rob Sandelin (robsanmicrosoft.com)
Date: Wed, 24 May 95 19:24 CDT
Harry Pasternak wrote:
>I am concerned about dedicated people interested in developing a
>collaborative/cooperative/cohousing neighborhood to live in, are sometimes
>being given misinformation by so-called "professional experts" in this field
>who in fact don't have any expertise at all.

I missed the original thread for this, but must say I agree with Harry,
in that in visiting communities, I have seen things which make me
question the status quo about architectural roles in creating
community, of which I have posted lots. I remember in particular a
conversation with a architect who had many very silly ideas about
community, whom had never lived in nor even visited a community! Yet he
was trying to pass himself off as an expert in "community design"!   If
you are in the process of beginning your community design, or even well
under way, you can get lots and lots of great ideas and practical
wisdom from visiting local communities. Don't be afraid if it says
"commune" , or land trust, or coop or some other label beside
Cohousing.  Every state in the Union has at least one, and most states
have several intentional communities which are listed in the Directory
of Intentional Communities, the new edition of which is widely
available.  I would also suggest visiting local church camps, state
park environmental centers, retreat centers and such and learning first
hand about their kitchens and dining facilities.  And of course,
visiting other cohousing communities, when possible, should be a must.
I remember one enterprising pair of women from somewhere, who took
their summer vacations visiting cohousing and other similar communities
up and down the west coast and who produced as a result a wonderful
letter about their learning's.  If you make arrangements in advance,
most communities are happy to share their success with you, and some
might even honestly tell you what they would do differently - a very
good thing to learn about.

Also be sure to attend this years cohousing conference in Boulder at
the end of September.  This is a HUGE resource, rooms full of helpful,
experienced people to talk with, plans everywhere, lots of  the good
people who make and have made this miracle happen will be sharing their
wisdom.  Last year I snagged time from 11 architects to get ideas from,
not to mention being able to see the site plans for 15 communities in
progress or existing.  This is an absolute must do event if you are
doing planning and  even if you already live there, someone can use
your wisdom.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood