Retrofit cohousing
From: Eric Hart (hartefreenet.msp.mn.us)
Date: Wed, 31 May 95 11:23 CDT
        A string has been going on regarding this but I can't remember
exactly what it was so I'll start anew.  People might be interested in
what a small group of us here in Minneapolis are trying to get started.
After being in several core groups that were unsuccessful in finding a
site, myself and another person are trying to find a 6-12 unit apartment
building in South Minneapolis that we could buy and eventually convert to
a cohousing building.  After securing this building we would work on
including the rest of the block in our cohousing community.  Over time
you have members of the group in all the houses in the block, and then
tear down the fences between yards and have common space. You could even
tear up the alley and have common space in the whole interior of the
block, with parking on either end of the block.
        Anyway we are going to
look at buildings next weekend and think we have enough people interested
to at least start pursuing financing and maybe enter into a purchase
agreement.  This way of doing cohousing is much easier to pull off and is
much more affordable.  So far what we have seen and liked goes for about
$20-30,000 per 1 bedroom unit.  This is for a 1920s building in good
condition in a decent neighborhood (of Minneapolis).  We will set it up
so that if it doesn't work out we can sell the building and everyone will
get their money back.  We will continue to rent the units to existing
tenants until we have enough cohousing people to fill them.  This could
take from 1-2 years most likely, maybe faster.  It doesn't get you
'instant' cohousing like new development does, but it doesn't take 3
years of planning either.  I would rather be working on cohousing on a
smaller scale over time in an urban setting than be spending big bucks on
a suburban location with new construction.  If any one wants more details
they can contact me directly.  A lot of what I told you is just theory at
the moment.  As we progress and act over the next few months I should
know much more about how it works, etc.

Eric Hart
Minneapolis, MN
harte [at] freenet.msp.mn.us