EcoCity Conference
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 95 10:51:45 CST
ECOVILLAGE [at] CORNELL.EDU  is the author of the message below but due
to a listserv problem it was posted by the COHOUSING-L sysop (Fred).
****************  FORWARDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS *********************

Announcement!

        We at EcoVillage at Ithaca, USA and APECSY in Senegal invite one
and all to participate in our Third International EcoCity Conference in the
traditional fishing village of Yoff, Senegal.

The Conference:  The EcoCity conference is designed to promote ecological
city and village building.  The ecological city idea is a concept which
joins together lessons from the past and present to create innovative
proposals for the future.

The Organizers:  Two organizations on different continents are
collaborating to create this unique opportunity.  APECSY (L'Association
Pour la Promotion Economique, Cultuelle, et Sociale de Yoff) in Senegal and
EcoVillage at Ithaca are building model EcoVillages suitable to their
respective climates, cultures and geographies- one in tropical West Africa
and the other in the northeastern United States, but both based on
universal principles of ecological building.

Topics:  presentations will be classified under the following subject areas:
        EcoCity /village Building:  Theory, successful models, planning and
design, strategies
        Lessons from African Urban History: What's Ecologically Healthy?
recent examples, ancient examples from archeology, history, and the oral
record;
        Land Use:  Planning and design to provide access by proximity,
balanced development, mixed land uses
        Green Architecture:  mixed use buildings, passive solar and high
biodiversity design, organic buildings, healthy building materials, local
building materials
        Transportation: Light rail, buses, bicycles and other human powered
vehicles, uses of waterways, cars as agents of ecological and social
degradation.
        Appropriate Technology:  Energy conservation and renewable sources;
water collection, storage, and distribution systems; recycling and
composting; biological waste treatment
        Sustainable Food Systems:  permaculture; organic, biointensive and
natural farming; aquaculture; agroforestry; food distribution systems -
cooperative markets, community supported agriculture, farmer's
markets;locally grown food consumption and seasonal eating; integration of
agriculture with city; urban gardens, rooftop gardens, agricultural belts
around cities.
        Rewriting Incentives Packages:  legislation, taxes, and lending
policies that support ecological rebuilding
        Social and Cultural Development:  women's role in decision making,
collaborative design, cooperative living, cross-cultural communication,
population stabilization
        Resource Conservation and Restoration Ecology:  wetlands
restoration, reforestation, land trusts, urban design for open space
preservation

The Place:  The conference will be hosted by Dakar and its traditional
villages.  The conference center is located in Yoff, a traditional fishing
village that has been sustainable for 500 years.  Participants will learn
from a culture that consumes few natural resources but is rich with history
and wealth that comes from their social relations.  They will take part in
a village whose economic activities and social interactions are based on
sharing and co-operation.
        Yoff is located nine miles from the capital city of Dakar which
houses the oldest institution for higher education in French-speaking West
Africa: the University of Dakar.  Students and Professors will be involved
as presenters, participants, and translators.  The airport is conveniently
located in Yoff and is a direct six-hour flight from JFK airport.

Registration and Accommodations  If you have any questions, please contact
the address below.  If you would like to register, just print out the
registration form below and send it to our address.  Your fee covers 6 days
in the traditional fishing village of Yoff, and includes food and housing.
Unfortunately we can only guarnatee housing in Yoff to the first 100 people
to register.  If you choose to stay in a nearby hotel, accommodations must
be paid for separately in addition to the full registration fee.

**Inquiries about travel arrangements such as group rate tickets, tours of
national parks, and cultural and ethnic centers can be directed towards our
office.

        So, please join us,  for it will be a truly unique and exciting
learning experience for us all. Thank you.

EcoVillage at Ithaca
Anabel Taylor Hall
Cornell Universtity, Ithaca N.Y. 14853
e-mail...ecovillage [at] cornell.edu

                                   Application Form
Third International Eco-City Conference
Dakar, Senegal
January 8-12, 1996

Please cut this form out, check all appropriate boxes and return to:  Third
International Eco-City Conference, Anabel Taylor Hall, Cornell University,
Ithaca  NY 14853

Information about scholarships available upon request.

N.America, W. Europe, Japan, Australia/NZ____$600* ____$350 student*
Latin America, Asia, E. Europe                  ____$125   ____$  75 student
Africa ____$50
Senegal and Gambia ____$30

* add $100 late fee after October 15, 1995.

I want to support the conference scholarship fund.  Enclosed is my tax
deductible gift of $__________.

 ____ If I am one of the first 100 registrants I would like to stay in Yoff

Make checks payable to EcoCity Conference.  Visa or Master accepted.

EcoVillage at Ithaca
Anabel Taylor Hall
Cornell University N.Y. 14853
e-mail address... ecovillage [at] cornell.edu