Gathering spaces
From: Graham Meltzer (g.meltzerqut.edu.au)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 95 01:32 CDT
All right Rob, I'll bite (in response to ...
>Some ideas about what makes successful  gathering nodes: But I won't
>call them rules of thumb ok? ;-))

I think ideas are fine. Isn't the exchange of ideas what this forum is about?

I do think however, that there is a twofold danger in people plucking ideas
from the ether and applying them to particular situations ...
* the ideas may be applied inappropriately
* they may prevent other, more imaginative solutions emerging.

As long as people use them with an awareness of these potential dangers,
there can be no harm. Alexander's 'Pattern Language' has a number of ideas
for your list Rob. I've never been able to afford a copy so I can't nominate
them. Similarly, dare I say it, Jan Gehl's "The Space Between Buildings'.

Another might be ...

Locate a toddlers' play space (sandpit, cubbyhouse etc) in sight of the
gathering node.

Cheers

Graham