Re: Cohousing units without basements?
From: Pablo Halpern (phalpernworld.std.com)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 95 10:10 CDT
"Evan A.C. Hunt" <evanh [at] sco.COM> Wrote:

>    Given the choice I'd _much_ rather have a house with a concrete
> slab or a post-and-beam foundation--cheaper, easier to expand later--and
> _no_ basement, and have storage and utility space either inside the house
> or in a detached, possibly common, garage-type structure.

Don't forget that above-ground storage and utility space takes up valuable
acreage. In our community, we clustered the houses together. Above ground
storage and utility would have meant either a) Larger footprints for the
houses, taking up more land space or b) towering, 3-story structures instead
of the 2-story houses we have now. I think using space under the ground for
activities that don't require nice, windowed spaces to be a good use of
available land. I wouldn't want to give up any of our common outdoors space
for a utility shed. If we could have afforded it, we would have put the cars
underground, too!

- Pablo

Pablo Halpern              (508) 435-5274         phalpern [at] world.std.com

New View Neighborhood Development, Acton, MA, U.S.A.