Re: Coho Server and other intentional communities
From: Bruce Koller (bkollerviking.dvc.edu)
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 95 09:15 CDT
I have mixed feelings about this suggestion.  On one hand, I have enjoyed
the occasional mention of information drawn from the experiences of
non-cohousing intentional communities.  I certainly appreciate knowing
about publications like the Directory of Intentional Communities (pardon
me if I don't have the name right).

On the other hand, I was drawn very strongly to the idea of cohousing
precisely for its subtle difference from what I think of as traditional
intentional communities.  To me cohousing is about agreeing to
cooperate with others without necessarily sharing any values beyond
tolerance of each other and
willingness to work together to build better housing.  I think a lot of
good things can flow from that simple goal (and that delights me).  I'm
not comfortable to start
with too many specific ideological or spiritual principles as my reasons
for getting involved in a cohousing group.

Bottom line for me is, let there be a thriving listserv specifically for
intentional community discussions of all types, keep this one
specifically for cohousing, and let there be much fertile interchange of
ideas between the two.

BTW, I applaud the recent turn postings have taken regarding the various
arguments on the list.

Bruce Koller
Oakland CoHousing Group
bkoller [at] viking.dvc.edu