Architects and Housing
From: Russell Mawby (cohosocweb.apc.org)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 95 22:35:41 -0400 (EDT)
Common wisdom has it that 55% of the construction activity in Ontario
over the past 15 years was single-family housing, of which architects
were involved in about 5% - in other words, architects only participated
in about 48% of the buildings that went up around here in the past 15
years.  I would bet that this ratio has probably been true for a lot
longer than that.
Why aren't architects involved?  Another anecdote, repeated to me at a
recent builders conference has it that you can tell which builders used
an architect- they're in bankcruptcy proceedings.
Now, I am a graduate architect, and I know that many builders are
bankrupt that never even knew how to spell the word architect.  I see this
comment more as a reflection of the role housing plays in our commodity
culture than as a smear against architects. . . but it makes you wonder.