Anti-Social Design of Neighborhoods & Houses
From: Harry Pasternak (Harry_Pasternaktvo.org)
Date: 07 Aug 1995 00:04:25 GMT
Here is some info on a recent book review from the Sept. 95 issue of Fine
Homebuilding.
The book is " Designing A Place Called Home" by James Wentling, "explores the
issues and the multitude of reasons why new housing developments (since 1950)
have fallen short". The book was reviewed by Jerry Ludwig.

Here some comments from the review article:

- you'll probably notice streets  that are too wide, yards that are either
too big or too small, facades that are either overdone or boringly stark, and
garages that dominate the street view.

- homes built 50 or more years ago attracted younger and older buyers alike.
Certain suburbs, villages and neighborhoods still have a certain appeal that
keeps their houses constantly filled. And isn't it strange that terms like
charm, character, warm, cozy and detailedare almosr always used to describe
older homes?

- the overall trend toward our current bland and sterile housing developments
had its roots in the 1950s...designers and builders started cutting out the
important details that made older houses special.

- The fronts of todays houses are often dominated by garages while individual
backyards have become the primary place for social activity, part of the
disturbing trend away from the sense of community in contemporary
neighborhoods.

- one positive aspect of the book is that Wentling doesn't simply find fault
... he provides specific ... ways we can change... are not necessarily
expensive... streets should be narrower and that the huoses should be grouped
closer together...

I haven't read the book as yet, I am waiting for a copy and I will post a
review after I read it---to look at Wentling's solution in detail.

Harry

- sent via an evaluation copy of BulkRate (unregistered).